Thursday, November 1, 2012

Visual Thinking Research




Cube Ring Puzzle by Puzzles.com

 For this exercise, my mom and I had to identify which of the four shapes was different than the other three. My method of approaching the task, shown in the image on the left, involved looking at the overall shape of the figure. I looked at the image marked "B"and rotated it in my head to see if it would match A, C, and D and discovered that choice "C" was the odd shape out. My mom took a different approach to the task and looked at each shape as being made up of three different smaller shapes. She was then able to notice that the shapes in choice "C" looked different than the shapes in the other three choices.




Block Twins Puzzle by Puzzles.com

This exercise had us identify matching pairs of shapes. My method as shown in the left image was to see each shape as a whole and imagine them from different viewpoints. I looked to see if any of those viewpoints I imagined were similar to an image on the paper to find the matching pairs. My mom's method was to once again see each shape as a collection of three different smaller shapes and rotate them in her mind to discover which ones were matching pairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment